Your customers are the key to your success. Without happy customers, your business is doomed from the start. How can you keep clients engaged and business booming? The key is great customer service, and your first line of defense is a top-of-the-line help desk.
By providing your IT help desk with the right tools to be successful, you’ll build stronger relationships and establish yourself as a trusted advisor. Developing the proper skill set in your help desk isn’t always easy, but by empowering your team with these best practices, you’ll ensure spot-on customer service at all times.
Here are a few do’s and don’ts that will empower your help desk to provide excellent service all the time.
10 Ways to Improve Your IT Help Desk
Providing phone support is not an easy task, but there are certain rules one can follow in any situation – especially when running a help desk. Educate your team on these necessary guidelines to wow your customers, and keep them coming back for more:
- Train on proper phone etiquette
- Develop good listening skills
- Answer calls promptly & be polite
- Always begin with an introduction
- Mind your manners
- Give customers your utmost attention & be sure to take notes throughout the call
- Make your services & offerings clear from the start
- Apologize if there is an issue
- Use closed loop to recap conversations
- End on a positive note
6 Things Your IT Help Desk Should Never Do
Although the above steps can make a profound positive impact on your clients, there are many pitfalls that can make a call take a turn for the worst, ruin customer experience and decrease the actual help your help desk provides. Avoid these disastrous mistakes and:
- Don’t interrupt customers while they’re talking
- Don’t make empty promises (those you can’t keep)
- Refrain from using unprofessional language (No matter how comfortable you are with your client)
- Definitely don’t argue with the customer
- Never overcomplicate the resolution. Keeping it simple is best.
- Don’t make excuses
This list of guidelines may sound simple, but that’s exactly the point. Following these easy to implement tips can ensure your service team is fully maximizing the efficiency of your help desk.
Whether you’re looking to reinvent your help desk or establish one from scratch, the most important part is providing your team with the tools they need to succeed. Start the process by showing them these easy-to-follow guidelines, and impress your customers with winning service.
Discover even more help desk improvement tips with our Help Desk Management: 5 Tips to Increase the Efficiency of Your Service Team eBook.
What else will make or break your help desk?
By Gretchen Hoffman
By Meaghan Moraes