Today, business professionals that do not consider cybersecurity a top concern may be living under a rock—and in actuality, the modern threat landscape should make them want to hide under one.
Managed IT service providers are realizing the importance of offering their clients security services because of, well, the numbers. The following ten statistics illustrate current cybersecurity threats to businesses, holes that leave many organizations vulnerable to cyber attacks, and the repercussions of not having a robust security strategy in place in today’s tumultuous IT landscape. Consider leveraging these facts in your conversations with clients and prospects to strengthen the way you sell your services and security expertise!
Today, cyber threats continue to evolve and grow more sophisticated. The following stats highlight just how ill-prepared businesses are to combat these threats and how large the opportunity is for MSPs to step in and protect them.
1. It's predicted that by 2021, cybercrime will cost the world $6 trillion annually (source).
2. On average, there is a hacker attack every 39 seconds (source).
3. 1 in 323 emails sent to small businesses are malicious (source).
4. Hacking tools and kits for all types of cyber crime are available online, some as low as $1 (source).
While there will always be some level of risk associated with being in business, there are methods that can be taken to manage vulnerabilities. Yet, without the proper security knowledge and support, threats can easily slip through the cracks, as the following statistics convey.
5. 95% of cybersecurity breaches can be traced back to human error (source).
6. 52% of small businesses feel helpless to defend themselves against new forms of cyber threats (source).
7. 62% of small businesses claim that they lack the skills in-house to be able to properly deal with security issues (source).
8. Increased investment in employee training can reduce the risk of a successful cyber attack 45–70% (source).
The reality is: without proper due diligence and effective solutions comes significant loss. These stats illustrate the real repercussions of cyber attacks for businesses.
9. 44 percent of businesses estimate they could lose $10,000 or more during just one hour of downtime (source).
10. 60% of small businesses go out of business after a breach (source).
Handpicked for you:
Download our new eBook, An MSP’s Guide to Protecting SMB Clients.
By Lily Teplow
By Brian Downey
By Dave LeClair