Health care data breaches have increased 10-fold since 2014 even though breaches from stolen or lost devices have decreased dramatically. Meanwhile, police officers in Texas are using new technology to collect unpaid court fines. To hear more, just click play!


IT Rewind Featured Stories:

Did our short segment leave you wanting more? Check out the original articles of stories we covered!

Over 113 Million Health Records Breached in 2015 - up 10-Fold from 2014

InfoWorld, @infoworld, Maria Korolov, @MariaKorolov

License Plate Scanning System Turns Police into Debt Collectors

eWeek, @eWEEKNews, Mike Elgan, @MikeElgan

Continuum's Must-Read Blog Post This Week

3 Ways to Ensure Greater Sales Velocity in 2016

3 Ways to Ensure Greater Sales Velocity in 2016

Before you can sell, you first have to understand your customer. If you don’t know what their wants, needs or desires are, then you have no way to know if you are effectively communicating with them. In my last sales related blog post, I explored a few paths to understanding your customers and touched on the importance of being able to convey value quickly and plainly when in a sales situation. In this second post, I'll continue to build upon that notion by providing three distinct sales strategies for convincing prospects to buy your products and services... Keep reading » 


What Else Is New in the IT Channel?

Now that you've seen our top picks for this week, here are some more stories that made the headlines. Have a suggestion for a story that we should cover next week? Let us know by commenting below or tweeting @FollowContinuum or @BenDBarker!

Password problems:

         Passwords Continue to Be a Security Problem
         CIO@CIOonline, CSO Staff

Enterprise issues:

       Report: Enterprises Still Worry About Data Threats but Focus Too Much on Compliance
       MSPmentor, @mspmentor, MSPmentor Staff

More malware:

         BlackEnergy APT Group Spreading Malware via Tainted Word Docs
         Threatpost, @threatpost, Chris Brook


Hey everyone welcome back for another episode of IT Rewind. This is our 65th episode of IT Rewind, the same number as former Minnesota Viking and Denver Bronco, Gary Zimmerman. On today’s episode we take a look at the amount of health care record breaches in 2015 and, trust me, the number is a lot higher than you’d imagine. Lets do it.

According to Bitglass, more than 113 million people had their health care records compromised in 2015, a number that is 10 times larger than the one recorded just a year ago. In 2014, 68% of medical record breaches were due to lost or stolen devices. This year, that number dropped to 2%. The other 98% was due to large-scale breaches. According to Rich Campagna, the VP of products at Bitglass, cyber criminals tended to use standard methods to compromise the information. Campagna encourages companies to train employees to spot phishing attacks and other security threats 

Police in Texas are now actively using payment card systems in their squad cars to allow those with unpaid court fines to settle their debt on the spot. A company called Vigilant Solutions provides the police department with a license plate scanning system that lets the patrolling officer know if the driver of a given vehicles owes court fees. Once pulled over, the driver is given the opportunity to settle on the spot through use of the payment card reader in the officer’s vehicle. If they don’t want to pay, they can be arrested on the spot for the unpaid fees. Here’s the catch though, the fines are increased by 25% if paid for on the spot and that extra money goes straight to Vigilant. While it sounds like a good idea on the surface, the police don’t get to access Vigilant’s database, so the private company gets to keep and use all of the data, even when the contract expires.

Before we go I’m excited to announce that registration for Navigate 2016 is officially open. Make sure to book your tickets to this years user conference right here in Boston, Mass! Head over to to register.

That’s all the time that we have for this week’s episode of IT Rewind, As always, read the full stories that we covered today and other tech stories by clicking on the links below.

Of course, you can always find us on Twitter, Instagram and Vine at FollowContinuum. We’re also on Facebook, LinkedIn, Spiceworks, YouTube and Periscope. 

Take it easy.


Don't let your clients or employes fall victim to a malware attack!